You’ve put so much time and effort into planning your wedding you’ll want every special moment captured for your photo album. But how do you know which photographer is right for you? Whether you’re considering any of our Certified By The Guide wedding photographers or another professional, you need to do your homework.
Here are the questions you should ask those photographers who’ve made your short list, to ensure that the one you ultimately choose is a good fit for you and your wedding.
- Do you have my date available? NOTE: Obviously, if the answer is NO and you’re not willing or able to change your date, don’t bother asking the rest of these questions.
- How far in advance do I need to book with you?
- How long have you been in business?
- How many weddings have you shot? Have you done many that were similar to mine in size and style?
- How would you describe your photography style (e.g. traditional, photojournalistic, creative)? NOTE: It’s helpful to know the differences between wedding photography styles so that you can discuss your preferences with your photographer. For descriptions of the various styles, click here.
- How would you describe your working style? NOTE: The answer should help you determine whether this is a photographer who blends into the background and shoots what unfolds naturally, or creates a more visible presence by taking charge and choreographing shots.
- What do you think distinguishes your work from that of other photographers?
- Do you have a portfolio I can review? Are all of the images yours, and is the work recent?
- What type of equipment do you use?
- Are you shooting in digital or film format or both? NOTE: The general consensus seems to be that either format yields excellent photos in the hands of an experienced professional, and that most people can’t tell the difference between film and digital images anyway. However, film takes longer to process than digital.
For a detailed article on the subject click here.
- Do you shoot in color and black & white? Infrared? NOTE: Photographers who shoot in a digital format can make black & white or sepia versions of color photos.
- Can I give you a list of specific shots we would like?
- Can you put together a slideshow of the engagement session (along with other photos the couple provides) and show it during the cocktail hour? What about an “instant” slideshow of the ceremony?
- What information do you need from me before the wedding day?
- Have you ever worked with my florist? DJ? Coordinator, etc.? NOTE: Great working relationships between vendors can make things go more smoothly. It’s especially helpful if your videographer and photographer work well together.
- May I have a list of references? NOTE: The photographer should not hesitate to provide this.
Jose Villa | Fine Art Weddings
Fine Art Wedding Photographer
Event Planner: A Modern Plan | Food and Rentals: Paula LeDuc Fine Catering | Linens: La Tavola | Lounge Rentals: Found Vintage Rentals | Rentals: Bright Event Rentals, Classic Party Rentals & Encore Event Rentals | Lighting: Got Light | Venue: Beaulieu Garden | DJ: DJ Cams | Tabletop Rentals: Frances Lane | Tenting: Classic Party Rentals | Shuttles: Napa Valley Tours & Transportation | Classic Car: Wine Country Classic Limousine | Cake: The Whole Cake | Calligraphy: Bespoke Aesthetics | Floral Design & Decor: Brown Paper Design | Paper Goods: Made by the Bride
Workshop and Floral Design: Ariella Chezar | Location: Haiku Mill | Coordination: Elements Luxury Events | Table set by: Small Masterpiece | Plates and Wallpaper on chandeliers: Camilla Meijer | Paper goods: Janel Apple | Food-Chef: Jennifer Lee | Linens: La Tavola | Vases: Middle Kingdom | Chargers: The Ark | Hair and Makeup: Meili Autumn Beauty | Models: Niche Models | Silk Ribbon: Adorn Company | Dresses: Lihi Hod
Planning and Design: Laurie Arons Special Events | Floral Design: Sarah Winward | Wedding Dress: Oscar de la Renta | Catering and Croquembouche: Paula LeDuc Fine Catering | Cocktail hour catering: Manzare Events | Trees and Plants: The Plant Library | Rentals: Classic Party Rentals | Invitations and Save the dates: Seaview Studio | Calligraphy: Curlicue Designs Calligraphy | Favors: Laura Zindel | Additional Paper Products: Amber Moon Design | Wedding Cake: Paula LeDuc Fine Catering | Ceremony Music: Synchronicity Strings | Reception Music: Encore of West Coast Music | Lighting: Illusions Lighting | Hair and Makeup: Mimi and Taylor | Grooms Attire: Tom Ford | Bridesmaid Dresses: Joanna August